Puerto Verde’s Progress
To create this first-of-its-kind trade corridor on the Texas border, the federal government must issue a presidential permit, which is required for any new infrastructure development at U.S. land border crossings. The Puerto Verde team is in the midst of obtaining approval in Washington, DC, working together with a bipartisan Texas Congressional delegation, the State Department, and the Biden Administration.
A Brief History of the Puerto Verde Project:
- Piedras Negras, the Mexican city across the border from Eagle Pass, TX, has long included plans to reroute commercial traffic outside of urban areas to the north of both cities in their master plan.
- In 2018, Maverick County commissioned a feasibility study for a new port of entry to the north of Eagle Pass.
- In 2020, transportation executive Ruben Garibay sought to make both countries’ visions a reality and quickly assembled the team that has led preliminary design, engineering, and permitting efforts.
- The Puerto Verde team has also been coordinating with local, state, and federal agencies on both sides of the border to ensure broad alignment and support for the project.
- The Puerto Verde Global Trade Bridge has received numerous support letters, including those from U.S. Senators Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, former congressman and Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe, former, Customs and Border Protection Director of Field Operations David Higgerson, Texas Transportation Committee Chairman Bruce Bugg, several Texas Representatives, the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the U.S. Mexico Chamber of Commerce, the Mexican State of Coahuila, and the municipalities of Piedras Negras, Monclova, and Nava.
- A Presidential Permit Application has been drafted and will be submitted shortly.
What’s been happening:
- On June 21st, 2023, Puerto Verde participated in the Wilson Center’s Building a Competitive U.S.-Mexico Border Conference.
- On June 22nd, Puerto Verde served as a platinum sponsor of the Third Annual State of the Port of Eagle Pass Trade Summit.
- On July 7th, 2023, Maverick County passed a Resolution supporting the Puerto Verde Global Trade Bridge and agreeing to act as its Lead Sponsor during the permitting process.
- On July 21st, 2023, Puerto Verde was formally presented to a binational audience at the Binational Bridges and Border Crossings Group (BBBXG) Plenary Meeting in Washington, DC.
- On August 17th, 2023, the Puerto Verde team attended an exclusive multi-agency planning session in Mexico City hosted by the Mexican Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE).
- On August 30th, 2023, Puerto Verde attended the North American Development Bank (NADBank) Summit.
- On September 14th, Puerto Verde presented at the Ports-to-Plains Annual Conference.
For media inquiries, please reach out to us at email@example.com.